Thursday, January 10, 2013

Some thoughts on motherhood ...

Being a new, first-time mom, I have been thinking a lot about how I viewed motherhood before and after the birth of my beautiful baby girl. I knew kids would be hard, but I didn't think one kid would be hard! :) Little did I know. It makes me nervous to have more!

But I have to remember something that sometimes I lose sight of among the dirty dishes, piles of laundry and spit-up spots on the couch. I think it is best illustrated by a conversation I had with a friend in one of my college classes ...

This friend wasn't a member of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But she was attending BYU-I. Being surrounded by Mormons, she was naturally curious about our faith. She learned that we believed in having lots of children, and that children are important. Why? she asked. Why would we want  to have lots of children? It's hard to take care of a couple and to give them everything they need, let alone eight or nine. Wouldn't that make it so you couldn't give the children proper care and attention?

I feel like the Lord inspired me in my answer. "That's where faith comes in," I told her. "If the Lord is really there, and He really wants us to have children, then we can do it all."

This story came back to my mind because these last couple of days I've seen some miracles that have helped me do the most important things for my family. I guess I've begun the journey, and I can't lose sight of my Strength ... and the importance of what I am doing.

This isn't to say that we as members of the LDS church believe that women are baby machines. A mother is only supposed to have as many children as she can physically, emotionally and mentally handle. This is different for every woman. We see women as the heart of the home, where the family is the central unit of society. To know more about what our church believes regarding the family and parenthood, click here to read The Family: A Proclamation to the World. It is a wonderful declaration of our belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment