Friday, March 8, 2013

My version of chicken penne

Here is a recipe that I came up with a couple of nights ago. Necessity is the mother of invention. I needed to make a dinner before my husband came home, but I had no meal plan and few ingredients. But luckily, I had some good basics.

Garden pasta is so colorful!
I made the white sauce in this with wheat flour. I've started using wheat flour to thicken things lately, and it seems to work just fine. In fact, I've stopped buying white flour and sugar. It's hard sometimes because then I have to borrow my mother-in-law's grinder and grind all my flour, and honey is rather expensive, but it's worth it.

This may not be the most original recipe, but I sure liked it, so I thought I would share. :)

Chicken Penne

Dinner is served!
1 13-oz box of garden penne pasta
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
olive oil
salt
pepper
oregano
garlic powder
2 T. butter
1/4 c. flour
approx. 3 c. milk

Cook the penne pasta in a large pot according to directions. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan and cut the chicken into small cubes. Cook the chicken in the olive oil until cooked through. While it is cooking, season to taste with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder.

Add the butter to the chicken, and then stir the flour in with a whisk until smooth. Add the milk, and whisk and cook on medium heat until thickened.

Drain the noodles, and pour the sauce over them. Stir just enough to get the noodles coated.

Makes: 4-5 servings
Broccoli is always tasty with pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment