Friday, May 25, 2012

Spanish rice ... mmmm

This is a good recipe that I made a couple of days ago. It is so good! It comes from the Set for Life cookbook that my mother gave me. She gave me the book a while ago, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It has a lot of good, healthy, cheap, basic recipes.

Spanish Rice

1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 c. stewed tomatoes
1 c. uncooked brown rice
1 c. tomato juice or water
1/2 t. salt
1 t. chili powder
1/4 t. curry powder (optional)

Brown the beef with the onion and pepper. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the rice is soft. You may need to add water if it boils out before the rice is soft.

Serves: 6

I don't use the curry powder, and since white rice is cheaper, that's what I end up using. The recipe still works fine. One of these days, after my husband graduates, we'll have enough money that I can buy brown rice! :) I also just use my home-canned tomatoes.

And speaking of extra lean beef ... I grew up on beef that my parents or grandparents raised themselves. I remember reading recipes that said to drain hamburger after cooking it, and I could never figure out why. There never seemed to be anything to drain. But since I've been married I've had to buy hamburger from the store a few times. Even if it's supposed to have less fat, it still has plenty of grease to drain off. I am so much more converted to home-grown foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment