Saturday, May 26, 2012

Another Mexican dish!

I have another recipe I want to share! It's one of my favorites, and I made it last night.  My husband and my dad also like it a lot, probably because of the cumin in it. I got it from one of my mom's Country Cooking cookbooks.

Bean n' Rice Burritos

3-3 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice
1 med. green pepper, diced
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 t. minced garlic
1 T. oil
1 T. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
1/8 t. red pepper flakes
1 15-oz can black beans, drained
8 warm flour tortillas
toppings

Saute green pepper, onion and garlic until tender. Stir in spices. Add beans and rice. Cook and stir until heated through. Serve rolled up in tortillas with your choice of toppings.

Serves:8

This recipe tastes so good! And you can use store-bought tortillas if you want, but I really like to make my own homemade tortillas from a recipe from my aunt:

Homemade Flour Tortillas

4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. hot water

Mix first three ingredients. Cut in shortening. Then add hot water and mix. Knead well. Form into balls, roll out very thin, and cook on hot griddle or frying pan.

I've also used butter in place of the shortening. If you do that, you'll want to cut down or omit the salt. It makes a softer dough and a tastier tortilla. This recipe was written for white flour, but I've successfully used wheat flour in it. Using all-wheat flour makes the dough dry and the tortillas a little crumbly, but half-wheat works great!

Can you tell we like to eat? :) After being morning sick for over two months (and unable to eat hardly anything), I've really grown to appreciate good food! I liked it anyway, but I'm so grateful I can eat it!

In between cooking tortillas last night, I was also working on my wedding scrapbook. I'm not much of a scrapbooker. I don't get the thrill out of doing it that some people do. But I am excited about this project since it is about my wedding! And it is about time that I get it done.

I'm also excited about it because I really like the way it is turning out. I am using black cardstock and gold-colored letter stickers. The colors in my pictures are mostly pink, green and white, so the black and gold look really good with them. I had some other extra little odds and ends to put on the pages, but I haven't felt like I needed to. I like the simple, elegant look. I'll have to share some pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment