Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day and a good soup recipe

Happy Memorial Day! I hope you will all get a chance to visit the graves and/or learn about your ancestors or other loved ones that have passed on. I love to hear stories of my ancestors. Some of them really had a lot of character!

And some of them were just plain interesting, such as my third-great grandfather, Obadiah Anathias Tooley. He had quite a colorful, adventurous life, and was hopping trains at 80 years old to visit his children who were scattered in Washington, Idaho and Minnesota. He died of a heart attack while he was hopping a train in Pocatello, Idaho, where he was buried.

If you have any interesting stories, feel free to share them as a comment.

Today looks like it is going to be a good day to visit graves. It's sunny and pleasant. But yesterday it was still rainy and cold, so I made a soup that I haven't made in a while. It's a colonial dish that I found in a children's book about colonial cooking. My favorite part of it is the smell while it is cooking!

Philadelphia Pepper Pot

1 lb. ground beef or sausage
1 lg. onion
2 celery stalks
2 green peppers
3 lg. potatoes
1 t. parsley
5 c. water
1 t. pepper
1/2 t. cloves

Brown the meat. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 1 hour.

When it says three large potatoes, it means they need to be pretty large. I usually add another potato or two because the ones I buy are smaller. Last night I also omitted one cup of water so that the soup was more chunky and less brothy. That's a matter of personal taste, but I liked it better.
Brown the meat and onions.

While the meat is browning, cut up the other vegetables.

Here are all the ingredients mixed together and ready to boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment