Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Food storage is a big dill ...

The canning season is upon us! This is a picture of what I was doing this past weekend:
Pickling cucumbers!!! In this picture I have the 10 quarts of bread and butter pickles that I did on Monday. On Saturday, I did 20 quarts of dill pickles. So now we have 30 quarts of pickles. It should be more than enough to see us through till next year.

But on Friday, I did more than just pickles. I also blanched and froze 9 quarts of broccoli, and grated and froze about 10 quarts of zucchini.

With the drought frying the crops in the U.S. this year, food prices are going to go up. But, "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear" (D&C 38:30). I've been blessed to be able to have a friend that allows me to pick in the huge garden that he oversees, as well as to have the money to be able to buy supplies to preserve what I pick. I know that the Lord wants us to be physically and spiritually prepared. I discussed this in another post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment